Friday, January 22, 2010

My Radio Update: 1-14-2010 to 1-22-2010

I'm getting ready to fire everything up for a live test run. I've replaced the bad power transformer with a model from a slightly higher-end Capehart Panamuse 19N3, and the new one tests good on all windings. It's a bit more powerful of a transformer than the other one was, but extra capacity never hurt anyone after all.



The new power transformer has leads on both sides of the housing; the old one was single-sided. I need to make a hole. Masked off the surroundings with painter's tape, so as not to propel metal dust into places it doesn't belong, and went at it with my Dremel.





All done:



Mounted:



Taps sorted and ready to connect:



The old power transformer was 345VCT/5.0V/6.3Vx2; the new one is 350VCT/5.0V/6.3Vx3 and higher current on each. I'm debating re-wiring the circuit to use the third 6.3V tap, but it won't hurt anything at all if left unconnected.

At this point I am almost ready to start firing everything up. I want to do the next test with the entire system hooked together -- tuner, phono, amplifier, level converter, speaker -- laid out on my table. I need to qualify the remaining capacitors in the tuner for that part, though.

My multimeter has a capacitor checker but I didn't want to shove the leads from the caps into the meter itself so I straightened out brass picture hangers to use as contact points for my alligator clip test leads. Testing a paper capacitor here, as expected it's bad.



Testing others:



Looks like I only need to replace 4 capacitors in the tuner for sure (the cardboard 0.01 uF @ 600V, and the three-section electrolytic in the can with 2x10uF @ 400V + 1x20uF @ 25V), and the capacitors in the level converter for the phono (a 2 x 20 uF @ 250V can and 4 paper capacitors), a total of 10 more capacitors to replace before it will be safe to try and fire up. Making good progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment